10 July 2012

ROAD TO RECOVERY, Part One

MOSTLY QUOTES

AN UNPARALLELED PERSON

"A.J. has driven for me for seven years, I stand behind AJ 100-percent . . . I . . . I . . . just don't how to put it," said an emotional Mike Shank (at far right, below, with Allmendinger behind) who was trying his best to put into just a few words all of what flooded his mind about a friend, a driver and, at still other times, a business associate. 26-29 January, 2012, Daytona Beach, Florida USA
in Victory Lane following the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
(c)2012, (R.D. Ethan)
LAT Photo USA

A.J. Allmendinger, who with Shank, Ozz Negri, John Pew and Justin Wilson earlier this year teamed to win the 50th Rolex 24 At Daytona, is in trouble of a kind that only would a true friend care to belly-up and help shoulder a burden, whatever that burden may be.

"He's been a vital part of my business for seven years and a large reason behind our winning the 24 hours," Shank continued, talking about what is the most important win to date in Michael Shank Racing's history.

"Time after time, for years we came so close to winning that race only to come up short, but A.J. was loyal, wouldn't leave the team. Even when I told him there wouldn't be any hard feelings if he left. A.J. stayed with me. He not only stayed with me, he bucked me up when I was down, said we'd get it someday.

“Well, I don’t care what’s going on, I’m not leaving him."

But did A.J. at any time give any reason to believe, any indication that he was somehow transgressing?

"No. And I say it with 100-percent certainty, and I have been around him a lot; I mean a lot," Shank parsing and emphasizing each of his four preceding words.

"I've been around him in all scenarios, from race day to flat-out having fun on a Friday night, and I've never, ever, ever seen A.J. do anything, overtly or otherwise, that would even remotely give me any sort of suspicion or clue that A.J. was doing anything wrong. This guy has never, ever lived anything but a clean life, in what I've seen, in what I've heard, in what I personally and professionally know about him."

"A.J.'s made a huge positive contribution to my business, to my personal life and to the lives of those he's known."

"No matter the outcome he will always be my friend. Always."26-29 January, 2012, Daytona Beach, Florida USA
Left to right, Justin Wilson,  John Pew ,  AJ Allmendinger, and Oswalo Negri celebrate in Victory Lane following the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
(c)2012, (R.D. Ethan)
LAT Photo USA

LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE

"AJ's an amazingly talented guy. I'm not sure what happened or why," John Pew, reached while in British Columbia, said.

"But I can't help but think about all the people who are hurting right now because they love A.J. because of what he's done for them. He's done a lot for me, taught me a lot, helped me win the biggest race in my life," Pew said, recalling the 50th Rolex 24 At Daytona and the winning Michael Shank Racing entry the two shared (pictured above flanking Rolex 24 trophy: Pew nearest left; Allmendinger, nearest right) along with longtime co-driver Oswaldo Negri Jr. (far right) and open-wheel, IndyCar Series star Justin Wilson (left).

"A.J.'s got a wonderful heart and remembers where he came from, a working-class background with parents who sacrificed a lot to help get him into racing's highest ranks. You know, to that end A.J. set up his Walldinger (Racing) scholarship to help those in similar situations.

"Kyle Kirkwood (recipient of an A.J. Allmendinger Karting Scholarship) was in Indiana for the MKP Nationals this past weekend because of A.J.'s help. I know his family, too, they're all wonderful people. They just think the world of A.J., as we all do. A.J.'s got a lot of people in his corner."

"I care a lot about A.J., he's a great guy and I would do whatever I can do to help him.

"Right now only A.J. truly knows what's going down. But if it's really as bad as it appears, if it turns out that the test was accurate, then when he comes out of the other side Roger (Penske) should give AJ another chance. I know I won't hesitate to do it."

HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S MY BROTHER

Negri w Pew, 2010"First and foremost, I'm nobody to judge anybody. Second, I am a friend and a fan of A.J.," Ozz Negri (pictured at far left with John Pew, right) said from his Miami-area home.

"I'll will never drop a friend because I am a friend both in good times and bad.

"That does not mean I agree with all the things that a friend may do, but I am here to help my friends because my friends help me. That's what friendship is all about. It's not about (being) 'convenient.'”

"There are some people who can, who are able to bear a heavier cross than others; people who can tolerate stress better than others. It's not to say that I believe A.J. is in such a situation, but we don't know, we just don't know what kind of situation he's going through.

"I know I'm sad, not for myself, but for A.J. and what he's having to go through. I'm not talking about who is right or who is wrong, but the situation itself. I wish A.J. didn't have to go through it, no matter the AJ Allemdinger, Justin Wilson, Rolex 24reason.

"When you don't know the circumstances it's very hard for me to judge others. So, we cannot judge; we can only help."

"The thing that makes relationships stronger, any relationship whether marriage, or family or friends, true friends, isn't the good times, it's being able to get through the bad times as a husband and wife, as a family and as a friend.

"Third, and this is one of the highest compliments, I think, I can pay to anyone: A.J.'s a guy I would have in my car at any time.

"I've known AJ (above left with Wilson, right) since he first jumped into Karting. I watched him and came to like and admire him; his ability; his love for racing.

"A.J. has a talent few others share. One of the things that I most worry about now is A.J.'s love of racing. If racing is taken away from him, well, I just don't know what'll happen . . .

"But A.J. is my friend. He is my brother. I am here for him."

                 

Later,

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment